Looking for Summer watering tips? Wondering how you should you be watering your turf this season? Keep reading.
Cultural Practices are integral to the success of any Organic Turf Care Program. Accordingly, we encourage watering deep, infrequently, and in the morning. For newly seeded areas and during extreme heat – water more frequently for shorter periods. Over-watering leads to compaction and disease. Watering up to 3/4” to 1.25” per week will keep your turf grass healthy in the summer heat.
Take a look at our watering guide below to gain an understanding of adequate watering times for various irrigation systems.
1-2-3-2-1 Turf Grass Watering Method
Watering Days per Week:
- 1 Day/Week: Early Spring – Irrigation Start to April 30
- 2 Days/Week: Early Summer – May 1 to June 21
- 3 Days/Week: Mid-Summer – June 21 to August 7
- 2 Days/Week: Late Summer – August 8 to September 21
- 1 Day/Week: Fall – September 22 to Irrigation Blowout
When to Water: Start Time: 1:00am will generally allow you to complete your watering before 7:00am. No watering should occur between 8:00am and 8:00pm.
PJC always recommends following local watering guidelines or restrictions – if you don’t have an irrigation system, allowing cool season turf grasses to go dormant is best.